Sunday, February 26, 2012

Repo! The Genetic Opera

This movie. In one word-AMAZING. I've never really been one for musicals, but this one takes the cake. It's not your average musical by any means. It is a rock opera. The cast includes Alex Vega (Spy Kids), Anthony Head (Buffy the Vampire Slayer), Paris Hilton, and more. The story line is an interesting one:
In the year 2056 - the not so distant future - an epidemic of organ failures devastates the planet. Out of the tragedy, a savior emerges: GeneCo, a biotech company that offers organ transplants, for a price. Those who miss their payments are scheduled for repossession and hunted by villainous Repo Men. In a world where surgery addicts are hooked on painkilling drugs and murder is sanctioned by law, a sheltered young girl searches for the cure to her own rare disease as well as information about her family's mysterious history. After being sucked into the haunting world of GeneCo, she is unable to turn back, as all of her questions will be answered at the wildly anticipated spectacular event: The Genetic Opera.
Organ failure is becoming a huge problem, so GeneCo emerges from the chaos. You can have your organs, however, if you fail to make a payment (similar to a car), the repossession clause in this contract is a real...killer. Literally you get hunted down by the Repo Man, and your organ is repossessed.

The sound track and songs in the movie, fantastic. My personal favorites are "Zydrate Anatomy", "21st Century Cure", "Legal Assassin", "Mark it Up" and "At the Opera Tonight". Two other songs I like, but were cut are "Come up and Try my New Parts" and "Crucifixes". The entire sound track, however is amazing. The movie also hold the record for the most songs ever composed into one film, with 64 songs!

Here is the trailer. Only a taste of what, in my opinion is the best rock opera in a while.


I honestly didn't think that I would like it. It was on FiOS free movies, and looked kind of interesting, so I decided to watch it. And man am I glad I did! It got a lot of bad reviews, and not a lot of promotion, since Lionsgate had the SAW franchise. I feel like if it would have had more promotion from Lionsgate it would have been a huge hit. However, I kind of like that it has more of an underground or "cult" following. Since when someone says "I feel like I'm the only one who has ever seen this!" You can say "Hey! I've seen it!" It's honestly amazing how many people HAVE seen it, but you just don't know it.

Watch it. You will not be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment